Introduction To Installing A New Lawn. Installing a new lawn for a lot of can be a back breaking task and many questions arise while looking out onto your yard area to find out a vacant plot or an overgrow lawn area which has been neglected to the point of no return. This article will attempt to answer a number of the many questions I have answered from homeowners about installing a new lawn from sod.
Do You Must Take away the Old Lawn. Yes, You must remove the old lawn. Taking out the old lawn will make sure that when you plant the newest lawn the roots can penetrate with the old green layer. Typically a lawn removal must be to a depth of 2-3 inches, you have to consider the grade at which your yard currently sits and also the volume of soil that you must install to your new lawn. In a few special instances when you may give a layer of the latest soil without getting above grade, you could leave the current lawn in position. New lawns will require a minimum depth of three inches of a well draining soil, abundant in nutrients. Most lawn removals could be completed with the aid of sod cutter, using a bobcat as well as an excavator in difficult to access yards can be a hazard and might create more work than initially planned.
Soil For That New Lawn. Soil for the new lawn is very important to plant health insurance and good growing conditions. Your brand-new lawn will discover significantly better growth over time when a quality top soil is installed. Oftentimes the greater expensive the soil, the higher quality.
The perfect lawn needs to be made with a minimum of 3″ of the well draining topsoil. The soil itself should contain a minimum of 70% sand and also the sub grade needs to be self draining. Soils that have high volumes of wood chips and organic matter needs to be avoided. Soils that contain paper recycling waste and also a strong odor should be avoided also. In most cases topsoil today is produced from compost, be sure to ask your supplier the valuables in the soil and make sure the composting process is complete. A soil analysis having a neutral ph balance needs to be requested from your supplier.
Form of Sod or Seed. Sod or also referred to as turf will be the preferred approach to installing a brand new lawn. Sod could be installed all year round and turf farms are open to supply year round.
The variety of grass seed or sod to use depends on:
1. Using your lawn area. This can include the volume of traffic that your particular lawn area is exposed to, including pets and kids.
2. The quantity of sunlight that the lawn area receives. Full sunlight areas should receive a minimum of 70% in the daily sunlight.
3. The seasonal temperatures inside your climate.
In most cases turf that comes coming from a sod farm or supplier will carry many different sod that is ideal for residential usages. Sod farms will grow varieties of grasses that fair well for brand new lawns with heavy traffic and shade. In some cases specialty grasses are available for low maintenance. Make sure you ask…
How To Install the Sod. Installing a new lawn can be completed by using these simple steps:
1. Lay the turf out in a brickwork fashion, meaning stagger the rolls therefore the seams tend not to match near the top of the sod rolls. Start in a straight line.
2. Butt all edges together tightly. Doing some extra work and spending some extra time pulling the joints from the turf rolls together will make sure the grass covers all the soil. In the event you leave gaps between the turf rolls, weeds may grow inside the bare patches of soil. Sod installation could be a difficult job in the event you don’t take the time to get it done properly.
3. Cut all overlapping pieces in place having a sharp knife. You might niugpu the scraps to complete other bare patches. Sod seams will grow together as time passes. There is no need to waste any other turf pieces.
4. Water the sod as you install. Tend not to enable the turf dry up at any time. In the event the sod is allowed to dry out, shrinkage may occur on the seams as well as the turf may die. Installing sod on a hot day may need frequent watering so be sure you are prepared beforehand.
5. Roll the brand new lawn when you complete laying turf. Installing a new lawn can be a very rewarding task and offers instant beautification to any property.